How To Make Mashed Potato recipe Grandma´s way. Easy homemade fluffy mashed potato and gravy made from scratch as a side dish with dinner.
How To Make Mashed Potato
How To Make Mashed Potato recipe Grandma´s way. Easy homemade fluffy mashed potato and gravy made from scratch as a side dish with dinner, idea for lunch with meals. Easy potato side dish for tradition on Thanksgiving for Americans. A No Bake stove top recipe to cook until tender then mashed with butter and milk to a smooth consistency. Delicious side dish for main meals for family gatherings for a dinner served with gravy of choice and meats with vegetables. Use mashed potato with cream cheese for fillings with pastries snacks.
This recipe is from my mothers recipes, therefore its grandma´s recipe for light and tasty fluffy mashed potato. A favorite served with meals or used for a topping on cottage pie recipe.
Benefits of eating potato.
The more colorful the potato the more antioxidants it contains. The skin of the potato gives up to 12 antioxidants than the flesh inside. The skin baked contains a great sauce of magnesium and potassium. and other vitamins, as well as fiber.
What makes a better mashed potato?
Higher starch potatoes will give you smoother and fluffier mashed potatoes. Russets or yellow skinned Yukon Gold potatoes that are more buttery, should be a good choice.
What to add into mashed potatoes?
- unsalted butter (better control of the saltiness in the potato)
- use milk
- or cream for a creamier richer mash
- garlic (powder or fresh crushed)
- parmesan grated cheese adds more flavor and is needed when you use the mash for the cottage pie topping. This will let the mash brown lightly on top when baking.
- Adding cream cheese and used as fillings for mini pastry snacks.
Don’t be afraid to eat the skins, or cook the potato with the skins on. A lot more flavor and oh so healthy.
- garlic and salt
- water for boiling.
Images of the ingredients needed for this easy tasty dish. Whole skin potato and butter and milk with salt and pepper. Follow the recipe attached for all the amounts needed and the instructions.
Whole potato with skin on.
Full cream milk to add to the potato and butter before mashing. The milk gives it smoothness and butter some flavor.
Firstly obtain some whole washed potato with the skin on. The skin has vitamins and minerals in, so boiling them with skins gives flavor and goodness.
If you are in a hurry and need to boil the potato faster then peel them and cut into small squares for faster cooking.
(for the full recipe directions follow the attached recipe below)
Boil the potato in some water that covers the potato and add salt. Test with a knife if they are soft and cooked. Then take them of the stove and pour out the water. Let cool for a few minutes before peeling the skins of. Peel the skins of with a knife or instrument while they are warm. (as they must absorb the butter while they are hot)
Once the are all peeled leave them in the warm pot and add the butter and leave it to melt a little stirring some. Then add the milk (as per recipe) and mash with a potato masher. (if you don’t have a masher then use a fork)
Mash until nice and smooth and no lumps are left in the potato. Check for salt and pepper requirements add if needed.
If you use salted butter be careful not to add to much salt. Keep warm in a closed bowl with a lid in a warmer draw or heated plating.
Serve for a main meal on table, or dish up each plate as a side dish.
Make some tasty onion gravy to add to the mashed potato. (or any other gravy you prefer)
The mashed potato is very versatile and can be used with parmesan or cream cheese for topping for cottage pie or for fillings for pastry snacks. Add any herbs to up your mashed potato taste.
How to plate mashed potato.
Spoon some on a serving plate as a side dish with main meal. Leave a kink in the potato with a tablespoon, then add the gravy on top. If you want to make a fine dining effect then add a round cylindrical food cutter filled with mash potato and take it off. Leaving a round effect for a more pleasing look. Decorate with a herb or edible flower.
(click on the highlighted heading for the recipes and downloads)
Add this meal with the salad or side dish —-> Simple Oven Baked Sea Bass
Use mash potato for these snacks —-> Mini Pastry Potato Bites
Great potato recipe ideas to create —-> Potato and Garlic Baked casserole and Baked Potato in Foil on Coals and Foiled Sweet Potato on Coals and Sunday Roasted Chicken and Potato’s and Creamy Potato Salad
This mashed potato is traditionally served on Thanksgiving with the —–>Roasted Turkey and vegetable meal.
Get some ideas —– 14 Must Read Beginners Cooking Tips
If you love to write out your recipes then obtain this pretty General Recipe Page. download it for FREEPrint
How To Make Mashed Potato
How To Make Mashed Potato recipe Grandma´s way. Easy homemade fluffy mashed potato made from scratch as a side dish with dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 min
- Yield: 6
- Category: Meals, supper or lunch, dinner, side dish
- Method: Stove top No Bake
For family of 6
- 8 medium potatoes with skin on (washed clean of any sand)
- 1 teaspoon of Salt and pepper
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons of Butter
- 3/4 to 1 cup of Milk (test once you mash. It depends on the size of your potato)
- Pot of boiling water.
- Add the potato to a large pot and cover them with water. Salt and pepper included. Bring to boil and boil until the potato are soft. Test with a knife or fork to see if they are soft.
- Remove from the stove and pour out the hot water into the sink. Leave to cool a little until you can handle the hot potato to peel the skin of. It is important to have the potato as hot as possible as this will allow the butter to melt into the potato. Leave the peeled potato in the warm pot until all is peeled. Then add the butter and leave to melt a little, before adding milk a little at a time.(do not add to much milk) Mash the potato with a masher. Taking care to see if you need more milk to make the potato smoother and creamier. You can add or not add as much milk as I said to your mash. It all depends on the size of the potato you cooked.
- Taste check the mashed potato for salt if you need to add more or not. If you use salted butter be careful not to add to much salt.
- As easy as that.
- Serve and keep warm in a serving bowl with a lid on and keep warm in a warmer draw for the family meal.
- Making a tasty gravy goes well with this dish.
- for quicker peeled boiled potato, cut them into small squares or pieces to boil faster.
- adding some garlic crushed or powder to add to flavor
- using some cream or sour cream for a creamier richer flavor
- also add some parmesan cheese for browning of mash potato toppings for cottage pie.
Keywords: How To Make Mashed Potato recipe