Chocolate Hot Cross Bun recipe idea to bake for easter that include Chocolate chips. Easy and delicious breakfast or snack for the family.
1. 1/4 Cup of unsalted Butter (1/2 stick or 57 g)
2. 300 ml of milk
3. 4 cups of flour ( 520 g or 18.5 oz)
4. 1/3 cup of cocoa powder (35g or 1.5 oz)
5. 2 1/4 teaspoons of dry active yeast or instant yeast( 1 sachet or 7g)
6. 1/2 cup of white sugar (100g or3.5oz)
7. 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
8. 1/2 teaspoon of all spice
9. 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
10. 1 large beaten egg
11. 1 cup of chocolate chips (200g or 7 oz)
Glaze for top
1. 1 egg yolk, beaten with a dash of water
2. 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3. 1tablespoon plain flour
4. 2 1/2 tablespoons of water (50ml)
Flour paste for cross
1. 1 cup of flour (120 g. or more)
2. 1/2 cup and 2 Tbsp of water. (to adjust to thickness)
3. 2 Tbsp of sugar
1. Melt the butter in a small pot with half of the milk and then add the rest of the milk in to cool it down to use.
2. In a mixer bowl attach the dough hook and add all the dry ingredients. such as flour, cocoa, yeast, sugar and cinnamon and all spice. give it a mix to blend all the ingredients together.
3. Pour the warm butter/milk mixture into the flour mixture and add the vanilla and egg. (must be warm and not hot, as the yeast will be spoiled)
4. Beat the dough mixture for about 7 minutes until smooth, elastic and combined.
5. Taking the dough out of the mixer with a dough scraper or spatula, combining the dough together and spraying the bowl with spray and cook olive oil then place the dough back in and spray lightly the top of the dough again. Cover the bowl with dough with a plastic cling wrap and allow to rise for one hour or until doubled in size.
6. Once the dough has risen then lightly flour a surface for you to place the dough on. Then gently knead the dough while adding in the chocolate chips. Make sure they are evenly distributed. (don’t over knead the dough)
7. Make a ball out of the dough and cut the ball into six pieces and halve those pieces then roll each one into a ball.
8. Then line a baking sheet with wax paper or any other liner. Place these balls on the sheets of the baking pan.(at least 9 x 13inch) Not touching giving them space to rise.
9. Cover again and allow to rise in a warm place for another hour or until they have doubled in size.
10. Preheat the oven to 200 Deg.C ( 400 Deg. F)
11. Brush the egg/water mixture over the top of the buns. (glaze for top)
12. Make the white flour paste and place in a piping bag and pipe the cross on top of each of the buns.
13. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until shiny and crisp on top.
Cool on a cooling rack and serve warm or not. Butter the halved buns for a delicious treat.
PS: next morning toast half of the buns over a toaster and butter for an amazing breakfast.
They do not contain raisons. but do have chocolate chips in.
Keywords: Double Chocolate Hot Cross Bun with chocolate chips
Find it online: https://www.fillmyrecipebook.com/double-chocolate-hot-cross-bun/